Ever thought about making your own spice mixes? Thought that this was a little too daunting of a task? Think again. Creating herb and spice mixes is easy, inexpensive and efficient, as well as a fun activity you can do together with your kids.
But besides that it is a creative activity, that goes beyond a home economics lesson, it is also a great way to keep artificial by-products out of your families reach.
Do you have family members with food allergies and chronic diseases, like I do? Then you really should consider making your own mixes.
Allow me to present to you 5 reasons why you should make your own spice mixes
1. Store bought mixes contain modified starch which is often derived from GMO sources (not always), used a thickening agent
2. There are also hidden sugars – does anyone really need more sugar in their diet? The answer is surely no, especially when you or someone in your family deals with diabetes or other chronic illnesses
3. Store brands as well as national brands contain partially hydrogenated vegetable oils – GMO derived trans fats from various sources, such as soybean oil, do I need to say more?
4. They contain MSG – MSG can be hidden under other names.
5. Often contains Hidden gluten – a dangerous situation for anyone with celiac disease
But where to find recipes? You can borrow my “Mixing Spices” book for free on Amazon Kindle Unlimited! A no-nonsense collection of mixes, which contains no fillers, unlike store brand ready-mixes. My recipes range from Taco Season to Goulash, and more adventurous recipes, that are easy to replicate, without the need for weird and crazy ingredients you can find anywhere.
If you are looking for a non-expensive, but effective spice grinder, I highly recommend this little powerhouse:
The above blog post is a part of the following blog hops: